Sunday, June 8, 2014

"My Heart Will Go On" by Celine Dion -- simple past tense

The motion picture TITANIC hit the screen in December 1997. Leonardo DiCapprio and Kate Winslet star in this tragic romantic film. "My Heart Will Go On" is the theme song. BuzzFeed.com offers some interesting unknown tidbits about the movie: 33 Things you didn't know about the movie "Titanic". Teachers can also add a little American history lesson along with this song.
Click the picture to open a music video.

1. Discuss the meanings of the vocabulary words.

          are                       go                      open
          believe                hold                   see
          come                   know                 stay
          fear                      last                     touch
          feel                       let                       


2. Listen to the song and write the missing verbs from the vocabulary above.

Verse 1

Every night in my dreams
I (1) _______________ you,
I (2) _______________ you,
That is how I (3) _______________
You go on.
Far across the distance
And spaces between us
You have (4) _______________
To show you go on.

Chorus
Near, far, wherever you (5) _______________
I believe that the heart does go on.
Once more, you (6) _______________ the door
And you’re here in my heart,
And my heart will go on and on.

Verse 2
Love can (7) _______________ us one time
And (8) _______________ for a lifetime,
And never (9) _______________ go
Till we’re gone.
Love was when I loved you,
One true time I (10) _______________ to.
In my life we’ll always go on.

Chorus:
Near, far, wherever you are,
I (11) _______________ that the heart does go on.
Once more, you open the door
And you’re here in my heart,
And my heart will (12) _______________ on and on.

You’re here,
There’s nothing I (13) _______________,
And I know that my heart will go on.
We’ll (14) _______________
Forever this way.
You are safe in my heart,
And my heart will go on and on.

3. Write the verbs from the vocabulary box in the past simple tense.

4. Categorize the past simple verbs into regular and irregular verbs.  

5. Write 10 sentences using the past simple tense verbs --- Use 5 regular verbs and 5 irregular verbs.

ANSWERS


     Part 2                            Part 3            
  1. see                             saw
  2. feel                            felt
  3. know                         knew
  4. come                         came
  5. are                             was/were
  6. open                          opened
  7. touch                         touched
  8. last                            lasted
  9. let                              let
  10. hold                           held
  11. believe                      believed
  12. go                              went
  13. fear                           feared
  14. stay                           stayed

 Part 4
   
          Regular Verbs          Irregular Verbs
          opened                      saw
          touched                     felt
          lasted                        knew
          believed                    came
          feared                        was/were
          stayed                       let
                                           held
                                           went

Part 5

Answers will vary.


No comments:

Post a Comment